Dial-A-Lift (DAL) is a curb-to-curb, shared-ride paratransit service exclusively for individuals with qualifying disabilities who are unable to use LBT’s fixed-route bus system.
LBT provides Dial-A-Lift services under contract with Global Paratransit, Inc. DAL drivers are trained in the needs of persons with disabilities and transportation is provided in ADA-compliant vehicles.
Service area includes the cities of:
- Long Beach
- Signal Hill
Who is Eligible to use Dial-A-Lift?
To qualify for Dial-A-Lift, applicants must be:
- A current resident of Long Beach, Lakewood, Signal Hill, or Paramount.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Permanently mobility impaired, and unable to use LBT’s fixed-route bus system.
- An active member of Access Services before time of application for Dial-a-Lift.
Dial-A-Lift is a supplemental service to the Access program for customers with severe mobility impairments. Customers may qualify for Access services but not for Dial-A-Lift. Eligibility for Dial-a-Lift is determined on a case-by-case basis.
How to Apply for Dial-A-Lift Services
Applicants must submit each of the required documents below to be considered for Dial-A-Lift membership. If any of the documents are not submitted, the application will be considered incomplete and cannot be processed.
You can request that an application be mailed to you by calling 562.591.8753 Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Documents required for application include:
- Completed Application Form – click here to download
- A signed physician’s statement stating the disability – click here to download
- Copy of the approval letter from Access Services or a copy of Access Services card.
1. If deemed eligible, applicant will need to have a physical evaluation at a medical facility referred by LBT.
2. After the physical evaluation, an appointment at LBT’s administrative offices will be scheduled to complete final membership processing. A photo for a DAL card will be taken at this point.
3. Upon meeting eligibility requirements, applicants will receive an approval letter by mail from LBT.
4. Approved applicants will receive a DAL card to use LBT’s DAL service.
DAL members will be required to reapply for services every 3-5 years. Members must remain an active member of Access Services to qualify for recertification.
Trip Reservation Hours
- Members can make reservations for transportation by contacting Global Paratransit seven days a week between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.
- DAL offers trips Sunday through Thursday from 7:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. and Friday through Saturday from 7:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.
Fees, Fare and Payment
- Initial membership card fee is $2.00
- Fare is $2.00 each way ($4.00 round-trip)
Payment can be made by cash, debit or credit card on board DAL vehicles. Funds can also be loaded on the DAL identification swipe card.
Riding with a Companion
DAL customers are welcome to bring a guest on board for an additional $2 each way. Reservation is required for guests and they must be picked up and dropped off at the same location.
Personal Care Attendants
- Personal Care Attendants are welcome aboard at no additional charge, but reservation is required for them along with the DAL member. They must be 18 years of age, and have the same pick-up and drop-off location as the DAL member.
Service animals are welcome on board DAL vehicles. Notification that the service animal will be traveling on DAL vehicle is required upon reservation.
Pets are also welcome on board DAL vehicles, but must be carried in a proper and approved animal travel carrier.
For additional information regarding Dial-a-Lift membership and services please call 562.591.8753 or email email@example.com.
1. I called Access first, but they directed me to Long Beach Transit Dial-A-Lift once I shared where I live.
Answer: Individuals interested in applying for Dial-A-Lift services must first qualify for Access. Kindly share with the Access representative that an application must be submitted through Access before you can begin the application with LBT.
2. Where can I find more information about Dial-A-Life or Access?
Answer: Dial 562.591.8753 for Dial-A-Lift information or additional question. Visit accessla.org, dial 1.800.827.0829 (Toll Free) or 1.800.827.1359 (TDD). You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. How do I know if I have a qualifying disability?
Answer: Eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis after a medical evaluation and going through the application process.